Sue Cox

Sue Cox

Sunday 14 May 2017

I Love The NHS!


This is a quick scribble due to my feeling like I have been kicked by a very large and very pissed off donkey!

The spinal surgery all went well, I had an eminent  neurosurgeon and his team working on my back for 5 and a half hours! (He said "it was very difficult, it was extremely tight in there")
Then I was taken to a special unit because of my sleep apnoea and asthma, where over three days, I was not left alone for one minute! I was given a cocktail of pain killers, (I can't have morphine also because of the sleep apnoea) and I didn't have to ask for one thing, the nurses anticipated my every need , and made me so comfortable. I even had three of them around my bed, holding my hand  because I had witnessed someone die in the opposite bed to mine, and they telephoned my husband to come and visit earlier in case I was upset. 
I was looked after by nurses and doctors from all over the world, The Philippines, The Gambia, India, Ireland, England Malaysia, Eastern Europe. They all had one thing in common-- They were wonderful! Caring, Compassionate, professional.
I left hospital in a wheelchair with a bag full of medication, lots of instructions and even several pairs of those awful DVT stockings! 
And all of this, cost me NOTHING! Of course I have made National Insurance contributions over the years, but even if I hadn't , my care would have been the same -and cost me NOTHING!
We HAVE to cherish and preserve our NHS it is second to none in the World.
Feeling very sore, but extremely grateful.


2 comments: